eMail Marketing Basics
If you’ve decided to implement an email marketing program or are ready to talk to your marketing team or a consultant about email marketing, this basic training will introduce you to the important email concepts, terminology and metrics that you’ll need to know.
We hope you enjoy and get the most out of this training.
Important eMail Marketing Terminology
- Headers: Information regarding routing, authentication such as SPF/DKIM/DMARC keys, unique identifiers, unsubscribe messages and sometimes more depending on the mailer
- HTML & Text: Insert a “View this email online” link right at the top of your message
Open Rate: How many people (in percentage form) opened the email that you sent.
- Click-Through Rate: How many of those who opened your email actually clicked on one of the links in the body
- Deliverability: The number of emails from your send that actually made it to the inbox
- List Cleaning/List Scrubbing/List Pruning: Cleaning or pruning bad email addresses, defunct accounts from your “list”
- Can-SPAM: Set of rules that you MUST follow when sending email if you want to not be classified as spam and potentially face federal fines and penalties
- Opt-In: The number of emails from your send that actually made it to the inbox
- Double Opt-In: Users have given you permission twice (usually via a confirmation link in an email)
- Unsubscribe/Opt-Out: Ability of users to unsubscribe from your email list.
- Bounce Back: The number of names on a list that get returned to you as “undeliverable”